This more advanced knitted scale mail pattern is designed for those with experience in circular knitting with double pointed needles, showing how to make small (bottom), medium, and large (top) sizes of scaled pouch.
The pattern includes comprehensive instructions with step by step picture tutorial for scale knitting in PDF format including six images of the blank scale pattern design charts.
- Suggested learning resources for all techniques used, from cast on to cast off
- Step by step tutorial for adding scales as required for the pattern, including images
- Full material and equipment list
- Blank pattern design charts to help you translate your idea into scales
- Three different round pouch sizes (from 1 1/2 inch to 4 inch diameter) with stitch numbers throughout for each, and pre-made pattern design charts to the correct length
- One blank design chart for the small pouch to design a pattern
- One design guide chart for the small pouch to help translate design into knitted scale order
- One blank design chart for the medium pouch to design a pattern
- One design guide chart for the medium pouch to help translate design into knitted scale order
- One blank design chart for the largepouch to design a pattern
- One design guide chart for the large pouch to help translate design into knitted scale order
Click to enlarge!
How Is The Pattern Delivered?
This pattern is now offered as an instant download via Ravelry - if you have any trouble with this please contact me at email@example.com, preferably forwarding your receipt so I can sort things out as quickly as possible!
Mostly you just need standard knitting supplies, including a set of DPNs in 3.75 or 4mm (see preview of front page for full equipment list)
You will need 60, 150, or 250 for the small, medium or large sized pouches respectively. See the bottom of DIY Scale Mail for suggested scale suppliers!
How Difficult Is It?
If you're reading this section you're probably worried that you won't be able to understand how to knit with the scales, and the pattern will be useless to you. Well fear not! Check out the DIY Scale Mail page again, and this time check out the Purl Stitch instructions which includes a tutorial video. That's all the special stuff you need! So if you want to make sure you can handle it before you buy the pattern, have a practice run of the stitch as described there.
You'll also need to work in the round, and the pattern is written to use DPNs. If you prefer other methods to work in the round and understand the DPN method, it should be possible to work using alternative methods such as the magic loop technique. If you're unsure, feel free to e-mail if you can get any tips on knitting it in your favourite style!
What Do I Not Get?
You do not get any ready made scale charts to use, the charts for examples shown on this page are not included; you get the knitting pattern to make gloves and blank charts to design your own patterns with.
Also the legal stuff:
You do not get permission to sell this pattern as it is or in an adapted form, or give it away for free.
You do not get permission to make and sell items made by this pattern, although the technique of knitting with scales itself is allowed - you can design your own items that include scales using the technique described in the free tutorial whether you buy the pattern or not. Only the pattern itself is protected.
What Can I Make?