This more advanced knitted scale mail pattern is designed for those with experience in circular knitting with double pointed needles, showing how to make narrow (bottom), regular, and wide (top) scaled chokers.
The pattern includes comprehensive instructions with step by step picture tutorial for scale knitting in PDF format including four images of the blank design charts for your own custom design.
If you have any problems or questions about your purchase do not hesitate to contact email@example.com or send a message to CraftyMutt on Facebook
- Suggested learning resources for all techniques used, from cast on to cast off
- Step by step tutorial for adding scales as required for the pattern, including images
- Full material and equipment list
- Blank pattern design charts to help you translate your idea into scales
- Three different choker widths (from 1 inch to 2.5 inch high) with pre-made pattern design charts to the correct size
- One blank design chart for the narrow choker to design a pattern
- One design guide chart for the narrow choker to help translate design into knitted scale order
- One blank design chart for the regular choker to design a pattern
- One design guide chart for the regular choker to help translate design into knitted scale order
- One blank design chart for the wide choker to design a pattern
- One design guide chart for the wide choker to help translate design into knitted scale order
How Is The Pattern Delivered?
This pattern is now offered as an instant download via Ravelry - if you have any trouble with this please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org, preferably forwarding your receipt so I can sort things out as quickly as possible!
Mostly you just need standard knitting supplies, including a pair of needles in 3.5 or 3.75mm (see preview of front page for full equipment list)
You will need 35, 80, or 130 for the narrow, regular or wide choker respectively. See the bottom of DIY Scale Mail for suggested scale suppliers!
How Difficult Is It?
If you're reading this section you're probably worried that you won't be able to understand how to knit with the scales, and the pattern will be useless to you. Well fear not! Check out the DIY Scale Mail page again, and this time check out the Purl Stitch instructions which includes a tutorial video. That's all the special stuff you need! So if you want to make sure you can handle it before you buy the pattern, have a practice run of the stitch as described there.
What Do I Not Get?
You do not get any ready made scale charts to use, the charts for examples shown on this page are not included; you get the knitting pattern to make gloves and blank charts to design your own patterns with.
Also the legal stuff:
You do not get permission to sell this pattern as it is or in an adapted form, or give it away for free.
You do not get permission to make and sell items made by this pattern, although the technique of knitting with scales itself is allowed - you can design your own items that include scales using the technique described in the free tutorial whether you buy the pattern or not. Only the pattern itself is protected.
What Can I Make?